CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Cabinet of Queeriosities III, Casa (community arts centre), Lethbridge.
Cabinet of Queeriosities III is the 3rd in a series of exhibitions celebrating LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer) history, identity, culture, and pride through a diverse range of subject matters and approaches. In the past, works shown as part of Cabinet of Queeriosities have included video, photography, mixed media, painting, drawing, ceramics, found objects, altered objects, assemblages, and people’s collections of LGBTQ themed items (such a beefcake playing cards and beaver ornaments).
- This call is open to all artists. You need not identify as LGBTQ but submissions should in some way address LGBTQ history, identity, culture, and/or pride.
- We welcome submissions in a broad range of media.
- This exhibition is curated and artists chosen will be paid an honorarium for participating ($25 - $150, depending on the number of artists included).
- The exhibition is taking place in a community arts centre. We ask that your work be appropriate for viewers of all ages. Works depicting overt sex acts, demeaning depictions of persons, or advocating violence will not be shown. That said, works in the past have certainly been both cheeky and challenging.
- Each artist, or group of collaborators, may submit up to 3 works, objects, or collections of objects, etc.
- It is the responsibility of artists to drop off, and pick up, their works at the designated times listed below. Late submissions will not be considered.
Drop off your work in person on June 13 or 14, 2015, between noon and 2 pm. If you are submitting from out of town, ensure your shipped work arrives at Casa the week of June 7 - 14, 2015.
Submissions must include: name, email address, telephone number, mailing address, date of work, media, any special instructions re: installation, value of work, and a brief 50-100 word artist’s statement. You may also include a CV if you wish.
You will be notified whether or not your work has been accepted on, or before, June 19, 2015.
If not accepted, work must be picked up the weekend of June 20 & 21, 2015, between noon and 2 pm (unless you have made alternative arrangements because your work has been shipped from out of town. The artist is responsible for all shipping costs.)
Installation takes place between June 22 – 26, 2015.
The exhibition opens June 27 and runs until September 10, 2015. (Work must be picked Sept 11 - 13, 2015.) There will be an opening reception on June 27th, 2015.
For more information, please contact exhibition coordinator Leila Armstrong at email@example.com or Casa curator Darcy Logan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Casa, 230 - 8th Street South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1J 5H2, Canada, (403) 327-CASA.